According to Windsor, G. (2019) the first habit of an effective team projects is to set “well-defined goals that are measurable” and are “clearly communicated, and agreed by each member”, in light of this
we planned to have all the 3D models and conceptual art done within three weeks. This was done to allow for extensive research into the field we were working in. Having this allotted time to create work that would backup and support our product is important as it provides an opportunity for everyone to receive feedback and for us to work our teething problems in the project. For the next stage of work we aim to have our logo, box art and V1 of the 3D printed modular pieces printed and painted.
We also aim to market through website, business cards and promotional videos which will be developed in later stages to allow for a more polished version of our product to be shown. The video will have aspects of the printing and painting process to create a better understanding between the consumer and us as they can appreciate the craftsmanship our business undergoes to produce our product.
At the current moment in time, our team is ahead of schedule, by having most if not all of the conceptual art completed this week, Ethan has also produced his first batch of unpainted modular piece. We are currently beginning to research into box art, logo design and moving onto producing the second, better batch of 3D printed assets. Apart from one isolated case, there has been no misunderstanding of where the project is heading, the member who was unsure as to what work they had to product was informed and updated to bring them in line with the our schedule, this was simply due to miscommunication whilst they were absent.
In hindsight it would have been useful to produce a ‘Gantt chart’ in order to have a set in stone schedule that our team could refer to, despite this we are remaining on top of everything because we are reminded of our goals for the next week each week.
In our lecture we did a team building exercise which saw us competing in our project groups to try and produce the tallest structure using only wooden blocks. This helped us develop troubleshooting techniques as well as introducing elements of teamwork by pitching ideas and trying them out, giving everyone in the team a voice. This allowed for members to build up confidence and to break any tension between members of the group as some of us have not communicated prior to this project.
The only problem we have encountered so far is team members not attending, this creates a barrier in understanding how our project is heading, we have tried to summarise in our group chats these conversations but it has been proven to be beneficial to attend on the day. Ethan has said himself that the printing time of the assets has been rather long and due to errors in printing, sometimes taking days to print. Understanding the problems associated with 3D printing, we have opted to not allow custom requests for modular pieces.
Hankcock, T. (2014) Famous Buildings Made Entirely Of Jenga Blocks [Image]. Available Online:
http://travhancock.com/2014/11/famous-buildings-made-entirely-of-jenga-blocks/ [Accessed 21/03/2020]
Windsor, G. (2019) 7 Habits of Effective Project Teams. Available Online:
https://www.brightwork.com/blog/7-habits-effective-project-teams [Accessed 06/04/2020]